In about a month’s time, I will be participating in my annual geekout weekend when Dragon*Con returns Labor Day weekend. For those of you who don’t know, Dragon*Con is the largest multi-media, popular culture convention focusing on science fiction and fantasy, gaming, comics, literature, art, music, and film. Every Labor Day weekend, about 40,000 people crowd the streets and take over the hotels of downtown Atlanta to meet friends, celebrities, cosplay and totally geek out. I first attended in 2007 and it has now become a must-attend event for me.
This year will also include some firsts for me, as I have been asked to sit on two panels for the Young Adult (YA) Literature track. The first panel, “Minorities in YA Lit” will focus on the role that minorities play in Young Adult Literature, and what trends are popular in regard to race, gender, religion, etc. So far, I am the only panelist listed (no pressure, right?)
The second panel is the one I’m most excited about, “Freaks and Geeks in Harry Potter”, where we discuss the “oddballs” in the HP universe, such as Neville and Luna. My co-panelists include Racheline Maltese (author of The Book of Harry Potter Trifles, Trivias and Particularities), Todd McCaffrey (who co-writes the Dragonriders of Pern series with his mother, novelist Anne McCaffrey), Davey Beauchamp (Writers for Relief anthologies), and M.B. Weston (author of The Elysian Chronicles series). How the hell I was able to get on such a distinguished panel confuses the hell out of me, and I will try not to feel intimidated. Try being the operative word.
But you guys want to know about the guests, don’t you? You can view the complete Dragon*Con guest list here, but this is the list of the people I’m excited to see and the movie/books/shows I loved them in (the ones in red are musts for autograph/photos).
- Lee Arenberg (you know, the “Ello, Poppet!” pirate on Jack Sparrow’s crew in the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy)
- Sean Astin (Samwise Gamgee in the Lord of the Rings trilogy)
- Rene Auberjonois (Odo from “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine”)
- Morena Baccarin (Anna on the ABC Series “V” and Adria/the Orici on” Stargate SG-1″)
- Kristin Bauer (Pam from “True Blood”)
- Robert Beltran (Chakotay on “Star Trek: Voyager”)
- Avery Brooks (Benjamin Sisko in “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine”)
- Ben Browder (Col. Cameron Mitchell in “Stargate SG-1″)
- Chris Bruno (Sheriff Bannerman on “The Dead Zone”)
- LeVar Burton (READING RAINBOW!!! Oh yeah, and he played Geordi in “Star Trek: The Next Generation”)
- Jim Butcher (author of The Dresden Files books)
- Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar in “Star Trek: The Next Generation”)
- Daniel Cudmore (Felix in the Twilight movies, and Colossus in X2 and X-Men 3)
- Lexa Doig (Rommie in the series “Andromeda”)
- Nelsan Ellis (Lafayette in “True Blood”) THIS IS A MUST!!!!
- Michelle Forbes (Maryann in “True Blood”)
- Sam Trammell (Sam Merlotte in “True Blood”)
- Jonathan Frakes (Commander Riker in “Star Trek: The Next Generation”)
- Joel Gretsch (Father Landry in “V”; Tom Baldwin in “The 4400)
- Larry Hagman (J.R. Ewing in “Dallas”)
- David Hewlett (Rodney McKay in “Stargate SG-1″, “Stargate: Atlantis”)
- Christopher Judge (Teal’c in “Stargate SG-1″)
- Sherrilyn Kenyon (author of the Dark-Hunter series)
- Martin Klebba (Marty from the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy)
- Stan Lee (do you really need an explanation of who he is?)
- Paul McGillion (Carson Beckett on “Stargate: Atlantis”)
- Alex Meraz (Paul in the Twilight movies)
- Corin Nemec (Parker Lewis in “Parker Lewis Can’t Lose” and Jonas Quinn in “Stargate SG-1″)
- Michael Shanks (Daniel Jackson in “Stargate SG-1″ and “Stargate: Atlantis”)
- Mark Sheppard (demon Crowley in “Supernatural”)
- Marina Sirtis (Deanna Troi in “Star Trek: The Next Generation”)
- Chaske Spencer (Sam Uley in Twilight: New Moon and Twilight: Eclipse)
- Brent Spiner (Data in “Star Trek: Te Next Generation”)
- Laura Vandervoort (Kara/Supergirl in “Smallville” and Lisa in “V”)
- Garrett Wang (Harry Kim on “Star Trek: Voyager”)
- Paul Wesley (Stefan in “The Vampire Diaries”)
I believe that the guest list for Dragon*Con has been capped this year at 400, so I don’t think anyone else will be added to the list. It would be nice, however, if they could add some more stars from “The Vampire Diaries” (especially since they film the show here in Atlanta). Some Harry Potter stars would be nice as well, as they were the main reasons I’ve been there the past three years.